Effective Date: January 1, 2020
- Who We Are
- How We Collect and Use Personal Information
- Additional Uses of Personal Information
- How We Share and Disclose Personal Information
- Independent Stores
- Pharmacy Operations
- Your Ad Choices
- Children's Privacy
- How to Access or Update Your Information
- California Privacy Rights
- Links to Other Websites
- Managing Communication Preferences
- How to Deactivate Your Account
- How to Contact Us
We collect Personal Information through our Services. There are five categories of information that we collect through the Services:
1. Information You Provide
We collect Personal Information you provide, for example when you enter the information into form fields on our Services. For example, we may collect:
- contact information, such as your name, home address, email address and phone number, which we use to administer your account and the Services, communicate with you and authenticate you as a user;
- demographic information, including age, information about your household, product preferences and other interests and likes, which we use to better understand and analyze our customer population, support our operations including inventory and product management, to deliver relevant offers and ads, and to improve our products and services including the Services;
- communications preferences, including marketing preferences, which we use to manage how we engage with you;
- loyalty card information such as loyalty card number and transaction history, which we use to administer our loyalty and rewards programs and tailor our communications to you;
- inquiries you make, including the content of your voice and text messages, which we use to respond to your inquires;
- online purchase information, including payment card information, purchase details and other transaction information, which we use to process purchases you make online, improve our e-commerce platform and your customer experience and contribute to our marketing efforts, for example, by analyzing information about what products are viewed, what products you put into and take out of your shopping cart, when you browse items but do not make a purchase and other interactions you have with our online product displays and descriptions; and
- with your permission, information from your device’s applications, such as the camera to allow you to scan barcodes to add items to your shopping list or your contacts to allow you to update your information.
2. Information Collected Automatically
These technologies include the following:
Logging Functionality: As is true of most websites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information may include IP addresses, browser type, internet service provider, referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp and/or clickstream data. We generally only use this data for purposes such as security, fraud detection, and protecting our rights.
Most Internet browsers allow you to remove or manage cookie functions and adjust your privacy and security preferences. For information on how to do this, access the “help” menu on your Internet browser, or visit http://www.aboutcookies.org/how-to-control-cookies/. Please note, however, that disabling our cookies may result in your inability to take full advantage of all of the features of our Services. To manage Flash cookies please visit Adobe’s website.
Analytics: We use analytics providers such as Google Analytics to help us evaluate and measure the use and performance of our Services. Data about the general attributes of your device may also be collected when you use the mobile application. To opt out of the aggregation and analysis of data collected about you on our website by Google Analytics, visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout and download and install the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
3. Information We Obtain from Third Party Sources
We collect Personal Information from a number of third party sources.
Loyalty and Rewards Partners: We use service providers to help us run our loyalty and rewards programs. These partners have access to Personal Information about you and share this information with us in connection with administering the loyalty and rewards program.
Information from Independent Stores: As described under the section titled “Independent Stores” above, we provide website and mobile app hosting services and receive customer data from the Independent Stores. We collect, use and share this Personal Information in ways permitted by our agreements with the Independent Stores.
Pharmacy Data: Some of our stores have an associated pharmacy. For the data collection, use and disclosure practices of the pharmacies, please see the section titled "Pharmacy Operations" below.
Supplemental Information: We may receive additional Personal Information from third party sources that we may append to existing consumer information, such as email and address verification. We use this supplemental information to better understand our consumers, deliver relevant offers and advertising, and improve our operations, stores, Services and our advertising and marketing campaigns.
4. Location Information
We collect location information through the Services so we can offer you certain location-based services (such as delivering advertisements that are relevant to your particular location, and conducting analytics to improve our stores and the Services). The way in which we collect location information is different depending on whether you are accessing the Services through a website or a mobile application.
If you are accessing the Services through a website, we use various technologies, including IP lookup, to detect your location so that we can automatically show you the closest store to your area, rather than some random location. Depending on browser type, your browser may inform you that the Site would like to collect your location and request your permission to do so. If you allow it, location information is then collected and may be stored locally on your device. If you decline the collection of location information, your location is not collected, and you must manually enter your location.
If you are viewing our content on a social media platform, location information may be collected by the third party platform. We do not control the collection, use or disclosure of location information on social media platforms. To opt out of location information sharing, please set your preferences within your social profile settings or follow the instructions on the social media platform.
If you are using a mobile app, you will be prompted to provide your consent for us to collect your location information. If you decline to allow us to collect your location information, you must manually type-in your preferred store or location so that we can show you the local store or send offers that are available in your area.
If you allow us to collect your location information, we collect precise location information. Whether and to what extent we can collect this information is controlled by your operating system, but the methods of collection typically include GPS, cellular network location and other location-based services. Depending on the operating system, we typically receive the location of your mobile device expressed as latitude and longitude, as well as date and time. Please note that the precision of this data varies greatly and is determined by factors controlled by your device or mobile service provider.
If you elect to allow the mobile app to collect location information while the mobile app is running in the background, you will have enabled continuous location collection. This allows us to show you offers, coupons and advertisements relevant to current location and help you find our stores nearest to you. We also use this location information to conduct analytics and improve our operations as well as the Services themselves.
You can turn off location collection through your device settings or by deleting our mobile app from your device.
In addition to the uses described above, we may use your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- Operating our business, delivering our products and services, managing your accounts and loyalty and rewards programs, and for any other lawful, legitimate business purposes;
- Contacting you to respond to your requests or inquiries;
- Processing and completing your transactions including, as applicable, order confirmation, enrollment in our loyalty or other programs, processing payments for online purchases and delivering products or services;
- Providing you with newsletters, articles, product or service alerts, new product or service announcements, savings awards, event invitations, and other information that are tailored to your interests or purchase behavior;
- Contacting you about programs, products, or services that we believe may be of interest to you, or sharing with you special offers from other companies;
- Providing you with coupons, programs, promotional information, offers, and other information that are personally tailored to your interests and purchase behavior;
- Conducting market research, surveys, and similar inquiries to help us understand trends and customer needs across product categories or customer groups;
- Administering our loyalty and rewards programs including allowing you to create and maintain customer profiles, analyzing your interactions with us, presenting customized offers, and improving our products, services, programs, and other offerings;
- Evaluating your shopping experience or existing products and services, or to create new items;
- Alerting you about a product safety announcement or recall or correction of an offer, promotion, or advertisement;
- Administering sweepstakes and promotions or contacting you regarding a contest prize;
- Preventing, investigating, or providing notice of fraud, unlawful or criminal activity, or unauthorized access to or use of Personal Information, our website or data systems; or to meet legal obligations;
- Sending you text messages or push notifications when you sign up for one of our messaging programs. These messages may be sent by automated means. You may opt out of a text message program by following the instructions in the "Opt-Out Choices" section below.
We may also use services provided by third parties (such as social media platforms) to serve targeted ads to you and others on third party platforms. We may do this by providing a hashed version of your personal information to the third party for matching purposes.
Service Providers: We share your Personal Information with third party service providers who complete transactions or perform services on our behalf or for your benefit, such as for administering the loyalty and rewards programs. payment processing, marketing, analytics, or to verify customer data, such as mailing addresses.
Third-Party Mobile App Providers: With your knowledge and consent, the Services may gather and transfer your information, including location information, from and to other applications, functions and tools within your mobile device.
Legal Process, Safety and Terms Enforcement: We may disclose your Personal Information to legal or government regulatory authorities in response to their requests for such information or to assist in investigations. We may also disclose your Personal Information to third parties in connection with claims, disputes or litigation, when otherwise required by law, or if we determine its disclosure is necessary to protect the health and safety of you or us, or to enforce our legal rights or contractual commitments that you have made.
Business Transfers: Your Personal Information may be disclosed as part of a corporate business transaction, such as a merger, acquisition, joint venture, or financing or sale of company assets, and could be transferred to a third party as one of the business assets in such a transaction.
Bankruptcy: In the event of insolvency, bankruptcy or receivership, your Personal Information may be disclosed or sold as part of the reorganization or liquidation process.
If your local store has a pharmacy, our mobile app includes a feature in which you can elect to submit a request to refill your prescription at the pharmacy. If you choose to use this feature, you will need to provide the last four digits of your phone number, the store where your prescription is being refilled and the prescription number. We will use this information solely for refilling your prescription. We will disclose information submitted to the relevant pharmacy for the purpose of providing you the services you request.
We support the self-regulatory principles of the Digital Advertising Alliance ("DAA"). We work with a variety of advertisers, advertising networks, advertising servers, and analytics companies ("Ad Partners") that use different technologies to collect data about your use of the Services (such as pages visited, ads viewed or clicked on) in order to deliver relevant advertising.
These technologies may include the placement on our Services of cookies or web beacons, and other data collection technologies by these Ad Partners to track how our Services are being used, to track where users go and what they do after their leave our Services, and to link various devices you may use, and to serve you more relevant ads. These advertisements may appear on our Services or other websites, mobile apps or platforms that you visit.
For more information about how Ad Partners use the information collected by the technologies on our Services and about your options not to accept cookies placed by some of these companies on our Services, please visit the DAA's opt-out page. You may also opt out of additional third party advertising networks by going to the Network Advertising Initiative's website and following the directions. Google provides certain choices related to their services. For more information, please visit https://adssettings.google.com/.
The opt-outs described above are device- and browser-specific and may not work on all devices. If you choose to opt-out through any of these opt-out tools, this does not mean you will cease to see advertising. Rather, the ads you see will just not be based on your interests. In addition, when you opt out using one of these methods, our Ad Partners will continue to collect information for any other purpose permitted by the DAA’s rules. You can opt out of future information collection from our Services by ceasing use of the Service or in the case of an application, uninstalling the application.
Our Services are not directed to, and we do not intend to, or knowingly, collect or solicit Personal Information online from children under the age of 13. We encourage parents or guardians to participate in and monitor their children’s online activity. If a child under 13 has provided Personal Information to us, we encourage the child’s parent or guardian to contact us (see the "Contact" section below) to request that we remove the information from our systems. If you are under the age of 13, do not provide us with any Personal Information either directly, on any website bulletin boards, or by other means.
You may review your Personal Information that is readily accessible through our Services or contact us to request that it be updated by contacting our Customer Interaction Center (see the "Contact" section below).
We will retain your Personal Information for as long as your account is active or as reasonably useful for commercial purposes. We will retain and use your Personal Information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations or data retention policies, resolve disputes and enforce our agreements.
If you are a California user, you have certain rights with respect to the collection, use, transfer, and processing of you “personal information,” as defined by the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”). We reserve the right to limit these rights where permitted under applicable law, including where your identity cannot be reasonably verified or to the extent your rights adversely affect the rights and freedoms of others. To exercise any of the rights below, please contact us via the contact information below. Only you or a person registered with the California Secretary of State that you authorize to act on your behalf may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information.
In the previous 12 months, UNFI in limited situations, may have collected the following categories of Personal Information:
- Identifiers (as defined in Cal. Civ. Code 1798.140(o)(1)(A))
- Personal information (as defined in Cal. Civ. Code 1798(o)(1)(B))
- Commercial information (as defined in Cal. Civ. Code 1798(o)(1)(D))
- Internet or other electronic network activity information (as defined in Cal. Civ. Code 1798(o)(1)(F))
- Geolocation data (as defined in Cal. Civ. Code 1798(o)(1)(G))
- Sensory data (as defined in Cal. Civ. Code 1798(o)(1)(H))
- Inferences drawn (as defined in Cal. Civ. Code 1798(o)(1)(K))
Sources From Which Personal Information Is Collected
We collect identifiers, personal, protected classifications, and sensory data directly from you. We collect commercial information by keeping a log of your transactions. We collect internet and other electronic network activity, geolocation, and inferences based on your interactions with our website and mobile apps.
When acting as a service provider, UNFI receives or has access to Personal Information collected by the business. UNFI uses that Personal Information solely to provide the services to the business.
Business or Commercial Purposes for Which Personal Information Is Collected
Your Personal Information is used for the following purposes:
- Respond to your requests for Services
- Provide you with customer support and respond to your communications
- Send you transactional or administrative communications, as well as certain service-related announcements
- Personalize your experience on our website or mobile apps
- Send you information relating to other programs, services, or products that we believe may be of interest to you
- Run website analytics to evaluate performance
When acting as a service provider, UNFI uses the Personal Information it receives or has access to solely to provide the services to the business.
Third Parties With Whom Personal Information Is Shared
UNFI shares your Personal Information with analytics and service providers, benefits providers, transaction processors, and law enforcement (if necessary).
In the preceding 12 months, we have not sold Personal Information about consumers.
In the preceding 12 months, we have not sold Personal Information about minors.
In the preceding 12 months, we have disclosed the following Personal Information about consumers for business purposes:
- We share content posted on our social media platforms (e.g., if a consumer “comments” on a story) with other consumers. Such posts may include Personal Information categorized as identifiers and personal, but the content depends on the individual post.
- We allow certain companies to use Personal Information categorized as internet, geolocation, and inferences to enhance online experiences and customize advertising. For more information, please see the “Information Collected Automatically” and “Your Ad Choices” sections.
- We share your Personal Information categorized as identifiers, personal, protected, commercial, internet, geolocation, and inferences with third party service providers who complete transactions or perform services on our behalf or for your benefit, such as for payment processing, marketing, analytics or to verify customer data, such as mailing addresses.
- We share your Personal Information in all categories as part of a corporate business transactions, such as a merger, acquisition, joint venture, or financing or sale of company assets, and information is transferred to a third party as one of the business assets in such a transaction.
Right to Know About Personal Information Collected, Disclosed, or Sold (if Applicable)
You have the right to request that UNFI disclose the Personal Information it collects, uses, and discloses about you to third parties. There are two types of Rights to Know requests that you can make:
- Right to Know (Abbreviated Request): If you make a Right to Know (Abbreviated Request), you will receive the following information about you:
- Categories of Personal Information collected;
- Categories of sources from which Personal Information is collected;
- Business purpose for collecting or selling; and
- Categories of third parties with whom sold, if applicable.
- Right to Know (Specific Pieces of Information Request): If you make a Right to Know (Specific Pieces of Information Request), you will receive the following information about you:
- Specific pieces of Personal Information collected about you.
This information will be provided to you free of charge, unless UNFI determines that your request is manifestly unfounded or excessive. You may request this information twice in a 12-month period.
There are certain exceptions to a consumer's Right to Know. UNFI will state in its response if an exception applies.
Right of Deletion
You have the right to request that UNFI and our service providers delete any Personal Information about yourself which UNFI has collected from you upon receipt of a verifiable request. This right is subject to certain exceptions. UNFI will state in its response if an exception applies.
Right to Opt-Out of the Sale of Personal Information (if Applicable)
You have the right to opt-out of the sale of their personal information by a business subject to certain laws and regulations.
Right to Non-Discrimination
You have the right not to receive discriminatory treatment for exercising the privacy rights conferred by California law. UNFI will not discriminate against you because you exercised any of your privacy rights, including, but not limited to, by: denying goods or services to you; charging different prices or rates for goods or services, including through the use of discounts or other benefits or imposing penalties; providing a different level of quality of goods or services to you; or suggesting that you will receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
You can submit your request by calling us at 1-855-423-2630. You may also submit a request via email at email@example.com
UNFI provides California consumers with a telephone number 1-855-423-2630 and an email address firstname.lastname@example.org to submit requests. UNFI must verify that the person requesting information or deletion is the California consumer about whom the request relates in order to process the request. To verify a California consumer’s identity, we may request up to three pieces of Personal Information about you when you make a request to compare against our records. We may also request that you sign a declaration under the penalty of perjury from the consumer whose personal information is the subject of the request.
Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us. We will only use Personal Information provided in your request to verify your identity and will delete any information you provide after processing the request. UNFI reserves the right to take additional steps as necessary to verify the identity of California consumers where we have reason to believe a request is fraudulent.
You may choose a person registered with the California Secretary of State that you authorize to act on your behalf to submit your requests (“Authorized Agent”). If you choose to use an Authorized Agent, UNFI requires that you provide the Authorized Agent with written permission to allow them to submit your request and that you verify your identity directly with UNFI. Failure to do so may result in UNFI denying your request.
Contact for More Information
Attn: Customer Service
9317 E. Sinto Ave.
Spokane Valley, WA 99206
Email Address: email@example.com
Phone Number: 1-855-423-2630
Last Updated: June 24, 2020
For your information and convenience, our Services contain links to websites operated by third parties. Our website may also include features like buttons and widgets hosted by other companies (for example, the Twitter “Tweet” button). These features may collect your IP address, which page you are visiting on our Services, and may set a cookie to enable the feature to function properly.
If you do not wish to permit changes in our use of your Personal Information, you must notify us prior to the effective date of the changes that you wish to deactivate your account with us. Continued use of our Services, following notice of such changes shall indicate your acknowledgement of such changes and agreement to be bound by the terms and conditions of such changes.
If you have provided us with your contact information, we may send you email messages, direct mail offers, push notifications or other communications regarding products or services depending on the method of communication selected. You may ask us not to do so when you access our websites or mobile applications or change your preferences by updating any accounts you have with us. At any time, you may elect to discontinue receiving commercial messages from us by submitting an opt-out request to the contact information below or by following the unsubscribe instructions in the form of the communication you received, as described below.
Printed Materials: To opt out of receiving printed marketing materials at your postal address, such as advertisements, flyers or postcards, please write to us at the address below. Please be sure to include your name and mailing address exactly as they appear on the printed marketing materials you received.
Emails: To opt out of receiving marketing communications via email, please send an unsubscribe request to the email address below or click on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email that was sent to you and follow the directions on the resulting web page. Please note that you may continue to receive certain transactional or account-related electronic messages from us.
Text Messages: If you have consented to receive text messages, you may opt out of receiving them by using the method provided in the text message or by contacting us at the address below.
Push Notifications: To opt out of receiving push notifications, please set your preferences within your device setting menu.
You may deactivate your account at any time for any reason by calling or emailing us as indicated in the Contact Us section below.
Attn: Customer Service
9317 E. Sinto Ave.
Spokane Valley, WA 99206
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone Number: 1-855-423-2630